Eleven (it’s an e-word day) ways to exercise without spending money or time.
1. While you’re brushing your teeth, do a few squats…slowly, so the toothpaste isn’t splattered everywhere.
2. While sitting at the table eating breakfast clench those buttocks together, hold it for about two seconds, and then release. Keep doing it throughout breakfast (lunch or dinner) and it won’t be long before you’ll have a firmer butt. If breakfast and butt doesn’t sound that appealing to you, then do it while you’re sitting at your desk. Your rear end doesn’t have to get enormous just because you’re sitting on it all day.
3. You all know to take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator, or at the very least walk up and down that escalator. And pick up your speed when you do need to walk somewhere. You’ll get it done earlier and burn a calorie or two.
4. There are lots of things you can do while sitting at your desk. Extend your legs out in front of you and stretch those calves. It’s good to stretch those muscles and helps prevent blood clots as well.
5. You can do leg lifts from your desk, too. Start with one leg, then the other, then both. Start slow and add a few each week. This can be an effective abdominal exercise.
6. Stretch (not roll) your neck from side to side and forward and backward. Also, look right, and left.
7. If you expend a lot of time typing, roll your wrists. This can help prevent carpal tunnel. Roll your ankles as well. This can help with circulation.
8. Suck in your stomach, hold for a few seconds, then release. Repeat this as often as you can think to do it. After a while it will become a habit and you will have firmer stomach muscles.
9. Open your arms straight out, pull your shoulders back, and rotate your wrists (thumbs going up and back). Good stretch.
10. Keep a hand gripper around your house. Pick it up when you walk by and use it. It works your hands as well as your forearms.
11. After work, and you’ve eaten your dinner (sucking in those buttocks while you ate), and it’s time to relax in front of the television, get a large size stability ball and sit on it with back and abs held firm. Sit, bounce, and do basic exercise on it while you watch the “boob tube.”
Now this isn’t meant to replace regular exercise, but those of us who can’t seem to make it to the gym at all, or on those days when we can’t take those long walks, this is way better than nothing.
And, for EXTRA credit, walk up/down the ELEVATOR. (LOL)
hahaha Breakfast and Butt! Love it!
I totally need to do the wrist exercises.
these are great! i’ve tried setting a reminder on Outlook to make me stop regularily and stretch, etc…but then i ignore the stupid thing because i think what i’m doing cannot be interrupted! my ego needs no exercise!
My tip for working out… watch a sporting event while your wife and kids are out somewhere doing … well… whatever, get your munchies out .. and when your team scores, jump up and down squealing EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! like a teenage girl.
(oh, and make sure the shades are drawn)